Payment of Vehicle & Car Tax

On this page you will find information about:

How much Vehicle Tax do I have to pay?

The cost of Vehicle Tax depends on the type of vehicle, its size, fuel type, and age.

You need to pay Vehicle Tax for each vehicle that you own, for example:

  • For cars registered before March 2001, the vehicle tax rate is based on engine size.

  • Cars registered between 1 March 2001 and 31 March 2017 the rate of vehicle tax is based on fuel type and CO2 emissions.

  • Cars registered on or after 1 April 2017, you’ll pay a rate based on a vehicle’s CO2 emissions the first time it’s registered.

There are different rates for motorcycles, light and heavy goods vehicles, lorries and buses. Full lists of the various rates are available from the DVLA .

If you are disabled, you may be exempt from paying car tax on your vehicle. 

Car Tax Exemptions

The following categories are exempt from vehicle tax, although in many cases they fall into a different category of taxation:

  • Vehicles used by a disabled person
  • Disabled passenger vehicles
  • Vehicles built before 1st January 1980
  • Electric vehicles
  • Steam-powered vehicles
  • Most agricultural, horticultural and forestry vehicles

Confusingly, even if your vehicle is exempt from Vehicle Tax, you should still register to pay tax. The exempt status means that you pay 0% car tax.

If your vehicle is sold, or scrapped, or stolen, you can usually claim a refund for part of the Vehicle Tax you have paid.

How do I pay Vehicle Tax?

People usually pay vehicle tax online by debit or credit card, or Direct Debit.

You can also pay at the Post Office.

You will need: a recent reminder from the DVLA (V11), your vehicle’s log book (V5C) and, if you’ve just bought it the green new keeper slip.

For further Car Tax information, please follow the links below:

More Info

Tax Refunds

For more information please see: