Child Tax Credits

On this page you will find information about:

What are Child Tax Credits?

Child Tax Credits are payments made to people who are responsible for bringing up children. They are paid by HMRC and count as tax-free income.

If you have a child or children, you may qualify for Child Tax Credits if you (and your partner if you have one) earn less than a certain amount which is currently £41300.

Important to know:

  • If your circumstances change tell the Child Tax Credit office as soon as possible. Telling the Child Tax Credit Office of any changes will make sure you receive what you should. If you do not inform the Child Tax Credit Office you might not receive as much as you should, or receive too much. If you receive too much you will have to repay any child tax credit you have received in error, unless it is the fault of HMRC.

  • At the start of each tax year you will be sent a renewal form. The form is crucial and needs to be completed correctly, and returned on time to ensure that you will get the correct amount of Child Tax Credit in the new tax year.

  • You can receive Tax Credits even though you do not have children. It is worth considering if you could be eligible.

When can I claim Child Tax Credits?

  • You may be eligible for Child Tax Credits if you have a child or children aged 16 or under. You may also be eligible if you have a child or children aged 19 or under and on certain education or training courses.

  • You can claim Child Tax Credits if you have a new baby. You should make your claim before the baby is three months old, or you may lose some money that you are entitled to.

  • Child Tax Credits are paid to the person who is responsible for the child’s upbringing and can usually only claim Child Tax Credits if your child is living with you.

  • Only one person can claim Child Tax Credits for each child, so if the child sometimes lives with you and sometimes lives with someone else you need to decide who will claim.

  • If your child lives somewhere else to study (such as boarding school) you can still claim Child Tax Credits.

Can I get Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare?

Yes, and the average payment for childcare on its own is over £3000!

  • If you work more than 16 hours a week, you can usually claim extra Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare. This childcare must be given by an approved provider, such as a registered childminder or nursery. This may include a childminder or nanny who visits your home.

  • If your child is over 5 years old you can only claim Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare out of school hours.

  • If you are not sure whether a childcare provider meets approved status you should ask them directly, and you can check with your local authority.

  • You cannot claim Child Tax Credits for childcare if your child is looked after by a relative or your partner, even if they are an approved provider.

What if I adopt or foster a child, or look after a child for somebody else?

You can claim Child Tax Credits if you foster or adopt a child, but only if the local authority does not pay you for the child’s care.

If you have responsibility for someone else’s child, perhaps because they are away or unwell, you may be able to claim Child Tax Credits if the child usually lives with you.

My child is disabled. Can I get extra Child Tax Credits?

If you have responsibility for a child who is disabled you may be able to claim extra Child Tax Credits.

This includes children who have Disability Living Allowance paid for them, and children who are or have recently been registered blind. The value of extra Child Tax Credits you receive will be calculated according to how much care your child needs.

For further Tax Credits information, please follow the links below:

  • Tax Credits includes:
    What are tax credits?
    Who qualifies for tax credits?
    How do I claim tax credits?
    How are tax credits paid?
  • Tax Credit Problems and Appeals includes:
    Can I be overpaid Tax Credits?
    I have been overpaid, what should I do?
    Do I have to repay an overpayment of Tax Credits?
    I don’t agree with HMRC, what should I do?

More Info

Tax Refunds

For more information please see: