Home>What is Tax?>Stamp Duty

What is Stamp Duty Land Tax?

Stamp Duty Land Tax is currently payable on all purchases of land or property in the UK valued over £125,000.

This applies to freehold and leasehold properties. The rate you pay depends on the value of the property, whether you are a first-time buyer, and in some cases the area in which the property is located.

If you are liable for Stamp Duty Land Tax, it is paid directly to HMRC. In many cases the solicitor who is handling the purchase will deal with the Stamp Duty, although it remains your responsibility to ensure it is paid.

In most cases, on purchases from £125,001 to £250,000, 1% Stamp Duty is payable on the whole transaction, currently:

  • On purchases from £250,001 to £500,000, 3% Stamp Duty is payable

  • On purchases from £500,001 to £1,000,000, 4% Stamp Duty is payable

  • On purchases over £1,000,001, 5% Stamp Duty is payable

  • On purchases over £2,000,000, 7% Stamp Duty is payable

In every case, the whole Stamp Duty rate is payable on the entire transaction.

Different rates apply for first-time buyers, for all buyers in certain areas classified as ‘disadvantaged’, and for ‘zero-carbon’ homes. If you are a first-time buyer, no Stamp Duty is payable on purchases up to £250,000. For purchases over this amount, the usual rates of Stamp Duty apply.

For further Tax information, please follow the links below:

  • Income Tax includes:
    What is income tax?
    How is Income Tax calculated?
    How much income tax do I need to pay?
    Income Tax Allowances
    Income Tax Rates and Taxable Bands
    How do I pay income tax?

  • Tax Codes includes:
    Where do I find my Tax Code?
    New Tax Codes
    What does my tax code mean?
    Different Tax Codes
    More than one job
    Emergency Tax Codes

  • Emergency Tax Codes includes:
    What is an Emergency Tax Code?
    What does an emergency Tax Code look like?
    Why do I have a BR/ Emergency Tax Code?
    Can I get a Tax Refund if I have paid Emergency Tax?

  • Construction Industry Scheme includes:
    CIS For Subcontractors
    CIS For Contractors (Employers)

  • VAT (Value Added Tax) includes:
    What is VAT?
    When do I pay VAT?
    How much VAT do I need to pay?
    Do I need to register for VAT?
    How do I pay VAT?
    Can I claim VAT back?

  • Self Assessment includes:
    What is Self Assessment?
    Do I need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?
    How do I get a Self Assessment tax return form?
    How do I register for Self Assessment?
    Can I register for Self Assessment on behalf of a company or trust?
    What is a Unique Tax Reference number (UTR)?
    How do I get a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number?
    How do I complete my Self Assessment tax return online?
    Can I complete my Self Assessment tax return on paper?
    Record keeping
    Self Assessment Tax return deadlines
    What if I submit my tax return late?
    What if I submit my tax return incorrectly?
    How is my tax calculated?
    Do I need to check my tax calculation?

  • National Insurance includes:
    What is National Insurance?
    What are the different types of National Insurance?
    Who pays National Insurance?
    What is National Insurance used for?
    Do your National Insurance payments affect your Pension and Benefits?
    How much National Insurance should I pay?

  • Pension Tax includes:
    Do I have to pay tax on my pension?
    Do I have to pay tax on my state pension?

  • Corporation Tax includes:
    Who needs to pay Corporation Tax?
    How much Corporation Tax do I need to pay?
    How do I pay Corporation Tax?

  • Inheritance Tax includes:
    What is Inheritance Tax?

  • Capital Gains Tax includes:
    What is Capital Gains Tax?

More Info

Tax Refunds

For more information please see: