Tax Credit

On this page you will find information about:

What are Tax Credits?

Tax Credits are payments that the government pays to individuals.

  • You may be entitled to Tax Credits if you usually live in the UK and you are aged 16 or over.

  • Tax Credits provide extra income for certain people – including those with children, and those on lower incomes.

  • You do not need to pay income tax on tax credit income.

Who qualifies for tax credits?

  • If you work more than 16 hours per week and earn less than a certain amount (£13,000 in 2012) you may qualify for Working Tax Credits. Extra Working Tax Credit may be available if you are aged over 50.

  • If you have children living in your household, and you (and your partner if you have one) earn less than a certain amount (£41,300 in 2012) you may qualify for Child Tax Credits.

How do I claim tax credits?

To claim tax credits you need to fill in a claim form, available from HMRC.

You only need to complete one tax credits claim form to claim both Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits. To request a claim form to claim tax credits, you need to provide certain information, such as your National Insurance Number.

How are tax credits paid?

If you are awarded tax credits, they will usually be paid directly into your bank account.

They can also be paid into some building society or Post Office accounts. Tax credits are paid every week, or every four weeks. You can usually choose how often you want Tax Credits to be paid.

For further Tax Credits information, please follow the links below:

  • Child Tax Credits includes:
    What are Child Tax Credits?
    When can I claim Child Tax Credits?
    Can I get Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare?
    What if I adopt or foster a child, or look after a child for somebody else?
    My child is disabled. Can I get extra Child Tax Credits?

  • Tax Credit Problems and Appeals includes:
    Can I be overpaid Tax Credits?
    I have been overpaid, what should I do?
    Do I have to repay an overpayment of Tax Credits?
    I don’t agree with HMRC, what should I do?

More Info

Tax Refunds

For more information please see: