What is Higher Education Student Support?

There are many different forms of financial support and maintenance allowances available to students in Higher Education, including grants and loans.

If your household income is less than a certain amount you can usually apply for a Maintenance Grant, to contribute to living expenses during full-time study. Depending on your household income, you may be eligible for a full or partial Maintenance Grant (in 2012 you can be awarded £3,250 if household income is less than £25,000, or a percentage of this figure if household income is less than £42,600).

Some students may be eligible to receive financial support directly from the institution where they are studying.

Most Higher Education students are eligible to receive a loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. Full-time students are usually eligible for a loan to contribute to living costs during their time of study. These loans are administered by the Student Loans Company, which is a public organisation run by the government. If you complete your course of study the rate of repayment on Student Loans depends on your income.

Student Grants and Loans, and most other forms of Student Support, count as non-taxable income.