Can I get a refund on my Car Tax/Vehicle Tax?

Don’t forget your car tax refund! You could be eligible for a road tax refund if you are the registered keeper of a vehicle that is no longer used and you have already paid for the tax disc.

You may also be eligible for a vehicle tax refund if the vehicle in question has had its tax status changed, for example if you have recently been registered disabled and the car is used solely for your own personal use.

Who Can Claim?

  • To claim a vehicle tax refund for a vehicle that is no longer used you must inform the DVLA that the vehicle is no longer in use by you and of the reason why. This could be because the vehicle has been sold, scrapped or stolen or because you hold a Statutory Off Road Notification certificate (SORN) for it.
  • You must also notify the DVLA if the reason you are claiming a refund is because your vehicle has been re-classed in a nil value tax class e.g. disabled tax class.

To notify the DVLA that the vehicle is no longer used or has had its tax status changed, you must fill in the relevant part of the Registration Certificate (V5C(NI)) and send it to them, this can be done prior to, or at the same time as, applying for the refund. If you wish to make a statutory off road notification, there is a section on the form to apply for a tax refund (form V14) that allows you to do this if you have not already.

How To Claim Car Tax Back?

To apply for your refund fill in the form V14(NI) ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax when you have the tax disc’.

Once you have filled in the form you should sign it, attach your tax disc and post to the DVLA (Swansea, SA99 1AL).

It is important that you give full information, that the name on the form matches the name on the vehicle registration, and that the DVLA are aware of the reason as to why you are entitled to a refund. If any information is missing or incorrect your application may be refused.

Apply Here

You can complete the V14 form online here:
(you will need to print the completed form) or you can collect a paper copy of the form from your local Post Office.

To receive a refund for each full calendar month left on the tax disc, the DVLA must receive your refund application before the first day of the month that you are claiming the refund from.

If you do not have a valid tax disc, for example it is lost, or the vehicle has been damaged or stolen, you can still claim a road tax refund by completing a form V33, ‘Application for a refund of vehicle tax when the tax disc is missing’. A form V33 can only be obtained directly from the DVLA. If you need a copy of this form you should telephone DVLA Customer Enquiries or visit your nearest local DVLA office.